Murphy's Combat Infantryman's Laws of Vietnam
You are not Superman!
2. Recoilless Rifles - aren't.
3. Suppressive fire - won't
4. If it's stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid.
5. Don't look conspicuous - it draws fire.
6. Never draw fire - it irritates everyone around you.
7. When in doubt, empty the magazine.
8. Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you are.
9. Your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
10. If your attack is going well, it is an ambush.
11. If you can't remember, the claymore is pointed toward you.
12. All five second grenade fuses are three seconds.
13. Try to look unimportant. They may be low on ammo.
14. If you are forward of your position, the artillery will be
15. The enemy diversion you are ignoring is the main attack.
16. The easy way is always mined.
17. The important things are very simple.
18. The simple things are very hard.
19. If you are short of everything except enemy, you are in
20. No OPLAN survives first contact intact.
21. When you have secured an area, don't forget to tell the enemy.
22. Incoming fire has the right-away.
23. No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection.
24. No inspection unit has ever passed combat.
25. Teamwork is essential. It gives them other people to
26. If the enemy is in range, so are you.
27. Beer math is 2 beers X 37 men = 49 cases.
28. Body count math is 2 VC + 1 NVA + 1 water buffalo = 37 KIA.
29. Friendly fire - isn't.
30. Anything you do can get you shot - including doing nothing.
31. Make it tough for the enemy to get in and you can't get out.
32. Tracers work both ways.
33. The only thing more accurate than incoming fire is incoming
34. Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support desperately.
35. If you take more than your fair share of objectives, you will
have more than your share to take.
36. Both sides are convinced they are about to lose - they are
37. Professionals are predictable - but the world is full of amateurs.
38. Murphy was a grunt.